Why grow on AlN?
- Better performance
- Greater efficiency
- Superior reliability
Our breakthroughs in defect-free AlN substrates are the stepping stones for new applications and market possibilities in nitride semiconductors. Some of our technological milestones and their external recognition include:
- 2003: Commercialization of 12 mm AlN substrates with ultra-low dislocation (defect) density
- 2004: Over $25 MM of venture capital investment, beginning in 2004
- 2004: Award from the NIST Advanced Technology Program (ATP)
- 2006: Release of the world’s first 2-inch single-crystal AlN substrate, cut from a bulk boule
- 2010: Demonstration of 5 mW UVC light output in continuous wave (CW) mode
- 2010: Asahi KASEI investment in Crystal IS for joint development of AlN substrates
- 2010: Grant from Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) for the development of UVC LEDs
- 2011: Highest optical output from a single chip at 260 nm (9 mW CW, 100 mW pulsed mode)
- 2011: Acquisition by Asahi KASEI
66 mW (CW) light output from a 266 nm LED
At Crystal IS, we are honored to be a part of the Asahi KASEI family that envisions creating for tomorrow, across a variety of businesses and industries. A review of the Asahi KASEI family of companies and their tradition of generating value for society reminds us that there are no limits to what is possible, when creativity and sincerity come in to focus on world problems. Read more about our Asahi Kasei Heritage.